Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Welcome Home!

Nothing says 'Welcome Home' like a home cooked meal and that's exactly what I got from my mom. Lasagna rolls, salad, and three cheese bread. So it wasn't low-cal or fat free, but that's not a priority when you go home. Besides everything tastes better with the real thing. For good measure, I got a leafy green salad with lots of veggies to make up for the cheese and pasta. Next, was lasagna rolls with ricotta, spinach, and meat, lightly topped with marina and melted, golden brown cheese. This was very filling, but surprisingly didn't make me feel so full that I couldn't function. The touch of tomato sauce allowed each of the filling flavors to shine without being overwhelmed with a tomato taste. The cheese acted like the perfect glue to keep everything together so that each bite had a bit of pasta and filling. Sometimes with lasagna, the filling squirts out and you are forced to eat either the pasta or the filling. Fortunately, I didn't have to choose because I could have both!

An Italian themed meal would not be complete without a side of bread. Let me say this one is worth the calories. This three cheese semolina from La Brea Bakery had a light and airy texture with a crust that crackled perfectly. It was definitely not limp or tasteless. It was everything that you would want in a piece of bread. Just talking about this dinner makes me want to have it all over again. However, I think that might not necessarily be so good for me and it makes it special when I do get to have meals like this on special occasions. Since the lasagna rolls will be hard for you to get your hands on since they don't ship very well, you can keep your eyes out for the delicious La Brea Bakery bread. They have a variety of flavors, and though I can only vouch for this one, but I am sure that you won't make a wrong choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment