Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer's Simple Pleasures


I love ice cream even though we all know it's not really that awesome for you. This was a special occasion, so I decided I to splurge. Being from up North, there are a few differences in food, where things like corned beef hash and shoo fly pie are normal. Though I can't bring myself to try corned beef hash, I try to be adventurous. This time it was a new kind of ice cream and there's no way I would ever turn that down! How can ice cream be different you ask? Well, first of all it is called a Cho Cho, which is malted ice milk that comes in a small paper cup with a popsicle stick. When I first looked at it, I was a bit confused about how I was supposed to eat it. Then my mom showed me the magic trick. All it took was a little warmth by rubbing it in between your hands and then all of a sudden there is a tiny pop and you can feel it come out of the cup. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect because it looked like it was coffee flavored due to its color. Let me tell you, it was not coffee. It was a delicious sweet caramel like flavor that was so good one lick just wasn't enough. It was absolutely delicious and perfect for a hot summer day. The only problem... I wish I could get them down here.


The other novelty was a swirled chocolate and vanilla Oreo ice cream sandwich. The thing I have noticed about ice cream sandwiches is that the cookie part becomes sticky and gets stuck to your hand, making the ice cream melt quickly and then the whole thing just seems to fall apart. With this one, the cookie was didn't get stuck to your fingers and the ice cream looked like it barely melted. It wasn't overly sweet and definitely took me back to my childhood days were Oreos always seemed to be a part of my lunch. These delicious treats helped beat the heat and remind me that it's the little things in life that make it so enjoyable. There's nothing better than taking a moment to enjoy the simple pleasure of eating ice cream in any of its many forms! If you are up North anytime, be sure to stop in at Schell's for a Cho Cho.

No comments:

Post a Comment