Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My Take on Tortilla Chips

It been raining here, so naturally I thought that there was a reason for me to be in the kitchen. After concocting quite a few sweet treats, I wanted to make something salty or savory. Don't get me wrong. I love sweet things, but that's not always healthy to have lots of sweets sitting around...it makes it too tempting. So after thinking about what I had, I thought of tortillas. Bingo! I'll make tortilla chips. Seeing as they are baked and not fried, I won't have to feel bad after I eat them and I know they will be a perfect snack to munch on. But I was feeling spicy and decided to spice up my tortilla chips as well. Plain are always good, but today called for something more. After looking at my spice rack, three things immediately popped out...chili powder, ground cumin, and onion powder, along with salt and pepper.

Most people think that the only way to make tortilla chips is to fry them, which is usually how they are done, but if you bake them, they are just as good. I am pretty sure that this is quite possibly one of the easiest things that you can make. Trust me, you don't even need a recipe and it can be done with as many tortillas as you like. Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the tortillas into triangles and spray with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil.

Here is the fun part where you get to be creative. Sprinkle on whatever spices you want and put them in the over for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the pan and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes. Watch them because they get dark fairly quickly. I made mine savory, but you could always do cinnamon and sugar for a sweeter version. Pair that with a caramel dip and you have one crowd pleasing snack. You will always have a "go to" in your back pocket for every get together you might need it for. Have fun with these and let me know how you customize them!


No comments:

Post a Comment