Monday, July 23, 2012

Sushi, Sushi

When I was little I was huge fan of popcorn shrimp, but then one day it just didn't taste like popcorn anymore. Since then I have shied away from all seafood. Then for some reason I decided that I wanted to try sushi, even though a lot of it is raw fish. What I came to find out was that there are plenty of choices for those of use who aren't huge fans of the raw stuff. When I eat sushi, I tend to stay with cooked things like shrimp, crab, occasionally lobster, and anything with veggies. Yes, people still tease me for not eating the "real thing", but hey at least I started eating fish again.

This sushi outing took me to a place called Miyako. It's interesting because it offers regular seating, as well as traditional seating. This is where you have to take off your shoes and sit at sunken tables, which is a great way to mix up the idea of going out to eat. I decided that I would have one healthy and one unhealthier sushi. I started off with a vegetable roll that had shitake mushrooms, avocado, red onion, a little bit of rice and was then wrapped in a thin slice of cucumber. There were also a few pieces that had lettuce tucked. The other roll I had was the crunchy maki roll. This was shrimp and avocado that was topped with little bits of friend tempura batter and drizzled with a spicy mayo. It was crunchy and spicy and the avocado created a "glue" that held it all together. You can still eat sushi, even if you don't want raw fish. These were both fully cooked and very filling. If you hadn't been here or tried either of these rolls, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible. Comment with your favorite cooked rolls and I will be sure you give it a try the next time I stop by Miyako.

No comments:

Post a Comment