Sunday, July 29, 2012

Always Alto

I have already shared with you about this great little pizza place in West Ave, but here I am talking about it again. I was flattered when a friend and I were going to go out to eat and she said she had read my blog and wanted to try Alto. So of course, that's where we went. It was delicious before, so I was more than happy to go back to try something new. However, I did have to indulge in something old, so I had a glass of the super fruity, white wine sangria. We started off with an order of calamari served with traditional marinara and a parsley dip. The parsley sauce was a great combination with the seasoned crunch of the calamari coating. The breading didn't fall apart and there wasn't too much of it. A squeeze of lemon adds a touch of citrusy freshness to it, making the flavors light and bright.
Next, we decided to try the daily special pizza. It had roasted garlic, red onion, chicken, cheddar cheese, and rosemary. The rosemary add a deep, earthy flavor to the pizza and the roasted garlic sort of melted into the sauce, making it almost taste like a barbecue sauce. There were big chunks of chicken that were well seasoned and very moist. The cheddar cheese was a nice change from the normal mozzarella and helped add to the barbecue feel of the pizza. The thin and crispy crust doesn't fill you up with unnecessary bread, so you get to enjoy the toppings... the real reason you eat a pizza.
I have to admit that the few times I have been to Alto, I have never had dessert. Then I heard a whisper that there was some sort of dessert with Nutella. Who passes up something with that chocolate hazelnutty goodness? So we splurged and got an order of sourdough doughnuts with nutella! The dough of the doughnuts wasn't sweet at all, but was rolled in sugar. The Nutella was melted which made it even better and easier to dip into. It was heaven and I couldn't get enough of them! Each bite had tartness from the dough, crunch from the sugar crystals, and a smooth chocolate finish. They were some of the most delicious doughnuts I have ever had. If you haven't had them, you need to go get an order as soon as possible. This is something that I may have to work on figuring out how to make at home. I am so glad that I went back to Alto and had another delicious dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment