Friday, July 27, 2012

Grotto is a Go

I had no idea the difference between Italian food from Italy and American Italian food. Italy uses super fresh ingredients, light sauces, and handmade pastas, which is not exactly the way they do it here. I found that it took me a while to want to go out for Italian because I didn't want to be disappointed, but then I found Grotto. Located by the Galleria, this gem is one of a few places that I have found that serve real Italian style food. They are less about drenching the pasta in sauce and more about highlighting each flavor to create a party in your mouth. To start they have this herbed olive oil with basil and crushed red pepper in it and it's served with plain sourdough bread and these cheese and herb "tortilla" strips. I am not exactly sure what it is, but it is something between a tortilla and a pita. All I know is that it's delicious and was gone in seconds. Since the temperature is rising, I chose a pasta with tomatoes, chicken, and mozzarella. There were roma, sundried, and regular tomatoes and for not loving tomatoes, I do have to say I am quit a fan of sundried tomatoes. The chicken was moist and tender and the fresh note of the basil was a great flavor boost. There wasn't too much sauce; it had just a touch of marina sauce so the pasta wasn't dry. I decided to pair my pasta dish with a Kenwood Yulupa Chardonnay. It was buttery and had a hint of oakiness to it, that lingered for a minute on your tongue. It was a perfect beverage for a delicious pasta dinner! If you haven't been to Grotto, I suggested you make it a point to try it because you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment