Monday, July 9, 2012

Potatoes with a Twist

This may look like an ordinary potato, but I assure you that it is not. I had an extra baking potato hanging out in my frig and wanted to do something more than just microwave it. This is a version of the classic baked potato I found on Pinterest, that is not only fun to eat but full of flavor. This is called a Hasselback potato. Apparently, the name came from a restaurant in Sweden called the Hasselbacken Hotel Restaurant and is their version of the baked potato. Anyways, I found this on Pinterest (of course) on a blog called Seasaltwithfood. It was super simple to make and definitely more fun to eat than a plain, microwaved potato.

You can find the full recipe on my Pinterest board or on the Seasaltwithfood blog. Let me just break it down for you. Slice a potato almost all the way through and sprinkle with salt and pepper. The recipe calls for sliced garlic to be placed in the slots, but I only had minced garlic. I just took a knife and spread some on the top and then in between the slices. Top with a bit of butter and bake at 425 for 40 minutes or until the outside is crispy and the inside is tender. I decided to be a little unhealthy and add a bit of shredded cheddar cheese to mine. I wanted to play with my food, so I finished cutting the slices all the way through and ate potato like "chips", but you can also eat it with a knife and fork. This is a "neutral" food, where you can do pretty much whatever you like to it. You can sprinkle on fresh herbs or add different cheese to it. Whatever you decide to do, you will make this potato the shining star and definitely something people will talk about. So go ahead and slice, bake, and play with your potato!

No comments:

Post a Comment