Sunday, July 8, 2012

Black Bottom Coconut Bars

Black Bottom Base
During one of my sessions on Pinterest, I found this amazing website called Super Cook. This is a recipe search engine that allows you to select ingredients that you have on hand and pulls recipe ideas. I wanted to make something and didn't feel like going to the store, so I decided to try it out. I started selecting my ingredients and viola! Up popped over 600 recipes that I could make without having to buy additional ingredients. I opted for a recipe from Martha Stewart that was for Black Bottom Coconut Bars. Usually I have found her recipes to be very time consuming and complex, but this one was straight forward and simple. The best part was that it made my house smell absolutely amazing! It was a superb mix of chocolate and coconut, perfect for the summer.

Coconut Filling
Ready to Bake
To start you made a "brownie" base, which was basically melting butter and whisking in sugar, an egg, flour, and cocoa. Then you put it in an aluminum foil lined pan and baked for about 10 minutes. While the base cools a bit, you put together the coconut filling. This was sugar, vanilla, flour, two eggs, and coconut. I used a cookie scoop to drop mounds of the filling over the base and then moistened my fingers and spread the filling out evenly. Before baking, I sprinkled on some extra coconut on top. Mine were in the oven for about 20 minutes, but I think that 18 would have been better. The coconut on top got a little bit darker than I would have liked it to. The most difficult part of the process was trying to be patient and wait for them to cool completely. Next, you remove the foil from the pan, cut into squares, and enjoy!


You can find the full recipe on my Pinterest board or on the Martha Stewart website. Try these out and see for yourself why they are so yummy. They aren't overly sweet and have a bit of crunch from the toasted coconut on top. They aren't too rich so you won't feel too guilty about eating them either! Let me know what you think after you try them out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment