Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sugar and Spice

Everyone loves a great snack mix, but most of the time I find that they are usually way too salty. I was thinking about what I could eat for a snack because I wanted something slightly sweet, but also savory and somewhat healthy. I decided it was time to visit my favorite search engine, Pinterest. A quick search took me to this recipe for a sweet and spicy nut mix from myrecipes.com. What was even better was that it's totally easy and you can pretty much throw whatever you want in it. I would probably add some pretzels to it, but I have a non pretzel lover in my life, so I left them out.

There are basically four simple steps to this. First, mix all the spices together to create the most amazing smelling spice mixture you will ever encounter. As a side note...this might also be a fantastic dry rub, so maybe I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. Second, whisk an egg white until foamy. Toss nuts in the egg white and sprinkle with the spices. Toss and bake on a parchment lined baking sheet. It's amazing how the egg white creates this delicious coating on the nuts that cover them in a little bit of sugar, but provides the spicy kick that everyone craves. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I promise these aren't hum drum nuts!

There will be this very tempting aroma drifting through your house when you take them out of the oven. But...make sure you resist just long enough until it has cooled down, and then dig in! This is the perfect snack to have at your next get together, as it is sophisticated and full of flavor. Don't bother putting it in a bowl because it probably won't last long. This super simple recipe is almost like a neutral piece of clothing that can be dressed up or down to match whatever mood you are in. You can control the flavor profile so that you don't end up with just a salty taste. Try it out and let me know what you use and how you make it your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment