Saturday, June 9, 2012

Homemade Spice Rub

Fire up the grill because there is a new spice rub that you need to try out and it's summertime, so it's a great excuse to have a barbeque. I found the original recipe on Pinterest from The Yummy Life, but modified it with the spices I had on hand. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be customized to your taste and it is super simple to put together (if you don't make the mistakes I did). It's sweet and spicy and great with all kinds of meat prepared in whatever way you wish. Chicken, beef, grilled, or slow cooked this rub has you covered. Now, you don't have to worry about marinating or advance preparation. Just grab, sprinkle, and cook.

Here is my modified 9 spice dry rub recipe:

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup paprika
4 teaspoons onion powder
4 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons dried rubbed sage
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger


Directions:

Dry the brown sugar for an hour or two so that it doesn't clump when you mix the ingredients together.


Sift all the ingredients together and then whisk. Store in an air tight container.

*Note: Do not try to sift the brown sugar. It clogs it up and won't work very well. After having to pour the spice mix into another bowl and resift it and then use a colander, I got a consistency that looked unclumpy. I am fairly certain that if you leave out the brown sugar, the sifting would be a piece of cake. The other option is to use a food processor, however, I don't have one.

So feel free to use this as a starting point to create your own spice rub. They are much better then store bought ones and you can make them to your liking. Come back and let me know what you used in your rub and how it turned out!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope it turns out well! Let me know what you think once you try it. Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete