Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Skinny Summer Sweets




As per the request of one of my readers, I have tried to come up with some options of summer sweets that won't stretch the waistline. Believe it or not, it is harder than it sounds because let's just face it, sweets are not nutritional. They have lots of sugar and fat... which is why they are usually so delicious. However, one of my favorites is frozen grapes, which is more awesome than it might sound. They get slushy on the inside so that when you bite into them they are icy in the inside. As you are eating them they begin to melt and it makes them even better, making them a perfect substitute for ice cream or popsicles.

Another thing that I found to be very "in" right now is one ingredient ice cream. One of the most popular ones is made from bananas. Literally, all you do is freeze bananas slices and then put them in the food processor (which does all the work for you). Keep scrapping down the sides until you get the creamy texture of ice cream. The best part is is that you can add in whatever toppings you want, like nuts, chocolate chips, or sprinkles.

Another one of my favorites is plain Greek yogurt topped with a little bit of honey and tossed with fresh berries. I wasn't initially a fan of Greek yogurt, but it has definitely grown on me. The consistency is not as runny and it doesn't taste as artificial as some regular yogurt does. The honey adds sweetness and keeps the sugar in check. Summertime is my favorite fruit season, so I stock up on berries and snack on those instead.

Hopefully, this gave you some cool ideas of super healthy summer sweets. I am always open to suggestions, so be sure to comment with your favorite treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment