Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sauce on the Side

Everyone loves some good ole barbeque, especially in the South. However, there is always the sauce debate. Whether it's sweet, ketchup based, vinegar base, or the consistency is thick or thin, each area has it's own unique version. What you usually find in Houston is the smokier flavor that the meat is not only marinated in, but then also dipped in while eating. I am weird because I am not really a sauce person while eating barbeque. I don't like the meat drenched in sauce, but I do appreciate the meat that's marinated in the sauce. I found an interesting sauce recipe on Pinterest via The Black Peppercorn.

I have never made a barbeque sauce before and figured this would be the perfect time to try one. Father's Day is right around the corner and it seems like every weekend has the perfect weather for an outdoor gathering. This sauce is on the sweeter side and had a thicker consistency. I made a few modifications to the original recipe based on what ingredients I had. I had some difficulty with getting a super smooth texture, but it could be because my onions were diced not minced. You can definitely taste the sweetness of the brown sugar and it has a hint of of smoke at the end. Note*: I doubled the recipe and got about 42 ounces worth of sauce or about 3 of the containers pictured.

I haven't had a chance to try it on some meat yet, but I know it will be great. It will also be a great accompaniment to the dry spice rub I just made! What more could the father in your life ask for? Now you have all the essentials to create a perfect piece of barbequed meat. Try it out and let me know what you think! 

BBQ Sauce Recipe:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 onions, minced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1 cup beer (I used Miller Lite)
  • 1/2 cup vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne (I used chili powder)
  • 1 cup (8oz can)tomato paste

Directions
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, and garlic to the saucepan and saute until they are tender and beginning to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
  2. Add the molasses, beer, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne . Bring to a boil. Let it cook with a low rolling boil for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.
  3. Stir in the tomato paste and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
  4. Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
  5. Puree in a blender until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment