Friday, June 8, 2012

The Lone Star

After hearing that a friend was moving to Oklahoma, I was trying to decide on the perfect going away gift. I knew I wanted to do something Texas related since he's a big fan of the state. Browsing the internet, I saw some wall art and decided that I would attempt to make my own piece for him. I was thinking about painting the Texas Flag as the background and then doing an outline of the state on top. Well after trying that, it didn't exactly work out like I had planned. I added the phrase 'The Lone Star State' at the bottom, but it still wasn't what I had in mind.

So now what? I spent a long time looking at the painted canvas hoping for some inspiration, but nothing came. It was time to solicit some advice. After adding the suggested brads to the star, it started to look better but it still looked incomplete. I began to think about the signs that I had been trying to recreate and remembered that most of them had some kind of fabric tied to the hanger. I was afraid of looking it too girly, so instead of using ribbon I opted for a red bandana. What could be more representative of Texas than that?!

So here's the final product. Though it's hard to see in the picture, it still says 'The Lone Star State'. I think it turned out pretty well and came a long way from where I started. I found that I have a somewhat frustrating relationship with artwork. I think I have a clear idea of how I want something to look, but due to my limited drawing skills, it doesn't always go according to plan. But as I was reminded, it's art and you can never go wrong because there isn't a right or wrong way. So next time you find yourself discouraged about a craft project, just remember it's totally up to you, so you can't go wrong.

4 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! And you complain about your artwork! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I am glad that it has the approval of another male because I feared that he only said he liked it because he was required to haha.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Well, I wasn't required to!

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I very much appreciate your honesty. Hopefully I will continue my art projects and become more skilled.

      Delete