Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Benjy's Brunch

Brunch is a combination of sweet and savory, where I struggle to decide which direction I want to go. So for this brunch outing, I decided to try somewhere new. Benjy's, a modern American restaurant, focuses on local ingredients with a seasonal menu. It's quaint little place with white leather 50s style chairs that make you feel right at home. Though, I do have to admit that it was pretty crowded and slightly hard to get around because it was so full. However, the super delicious muffin sampler served with apple butter was a pleasant surprise.

Even though I have this weird relationship with tomatoes, I decided to order the mozzarella, basil, and tomato omelet. This omelet was served a bit differently than how I usually get them and I think I actually prefer it. The egg was made into a tortilla and then the filling was wrapped inside. The best part is that there was no shortage of deliciousness, with red and yellow tomatoes tucked inside. It was topped with pesto, so the combination was fresh and light with a hint of saltiness from the mozzarella. It was served with fruit and oven roasted potatoes. The potatoes had a crunchy outside and soft inside, which made them delicious and some of the best brunch potatoes I have had. 


One of the dishes that Benjy's is known for is their nut crusted french toast. I would have never put those two things together, but the crunch from the nuts added a great textural element. It had a berry drizzle and was topped with fresh summer berries. It wasn't an extremely sweet dish, which was surprising because sometimes french toast can be overly sweet. It was served with homemade chicken sausage. The sausage was touched with cumin, creating a very unique flavor profile. I can say that I have not had anything like it and it was definitely a winner. Overall, brunch was a success and I will definitely be returning to check out their lunch and dinner menu. Plus, I hear they have a to die for chocolate cake, so I will be trying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment