Monday, August 20, 2012

Rolling to Cadillac Bar

Next stop on the Houston Restaurant Weeks Tour - Cadillac Bar. The Mexican gem on Shepherd was definitely worth the trip. It started off with a frozen sangria swirl margarita that was full of fruit that balanced well with the zip of the lime in the margarita. For the first course, I chose a shrimp and scallop ceviche. I have tried ceviches, but have never ordered one so this was a first time for me. This one had onions, pico de gallo, and avocado. The cool avocado and the fresh tomato cut through some of the acidic of the seafood marinade. The dish had great flavor, but I am not sure if I would order it again...Mainly because it's a weird texture and sometimes that really bothers me. It came with chips, but I had a few of those before the ceviche came so I tried not to eat too many more.
I do like faijitas, but usually they are too big for one. This time I decided to go for it. It was a combination of chicked, bacon wrapped shrimp, and ribs. You are probably thinking ribs at a Mexican restaurant? I know it was a bit surprising, but they turned out to be very good. The chicken had a great smokey flavor to it and the bacon wrapped shrimp (which turned out to also have a little bit of cheese with it) were amazing! Not the epitome of a healthy meal, but hey there were only two of them and I am not eating them every day. This was served with rice, beans, corn tortillas, sour cream, and my favorite...guacamole.
What Mexican meal would be complete without a nice piece of Tres Leches? However, I have noticed that throughout Houston Restaurant Weeks, that it has been a popular option. This was a bit fancier than some of the other ones I have had, but honestly it wasn't the best. It had a nice texture and the cake held together very nicely. The topping was a bit heavy and tasted a little too much like a whipped topping. I am more of a whipped cream girl to begin with. The cookie banner was really good though and provided a little bit of crunch for an otherwise untextured dish.

If you haven't tried out Cadillac Bar, then you should stop by. Plus I heard that they have a great brunch. Don't forget that Houston Restaurant Weeks supports the Houston Food Bank. So for all you foodies out there, keep eating for a cause!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment