Sunday, August 26, 2012

Oh Fall, Where Are You?

Table Top
I am officially done decorating for fall. Like I said, not that much room to decorate, so it's pretty easy to do. Though I love the wreath that I made, I don't really get to enjoy it since I usually inside, not outside. However, I have recently discovered how much I enjoy candles and knew that I wanted to use them in my fall decor. There is something about the flickering flame and the relaxing aromas that just makes the world seem simple. Plus it makes the space feel cozy, homey, and warm...the perfect adjectives for fall. I found this really fantastic pine cone spray at Hobby Lobby and knew it would go well on the top of my table. I have a round table, so unfortunately I can't really do a long display (which can be really amazing). This spray had leaves, nuts, berries and because I do like a little bit of shine, tastefully glittered pine cones. I bought three small glass votives that I randomly (but strategically) placed within the spray. The candles were apple fig tart scented and they smell beyond amazing! I anchored the display with an ivory candle that also happens to smell spicey and very fall like.
Coffee Table
Last year I used apothecary jars filled with dried beans, popcorn kernels, and nuts. I like the layered look that it makes, but wanted to do something different. I found this really fun vase filler at Hobby Lobby that was different sized mini pine cones and glittered acorns in orange and gold. The glitter is done in a sophisticated manner and adds a nice pop of color. I put this in a medium vase and tied a piece of raffia around it. I used a smaller bowl and filled the bottom with white popcorn kernels and used the leftover leaves and acorns from the wreath on top of that. That created a nice blend of textures and colors that coordinated with the other vase. The magic number in decorating is three so I did a high vase that I layered with more kernels and small dry red beans. I used the green leaves off the reddish/orange/yellow mum flowers I bought and then added the flowers. This way I can always enjoy the flowers without them dying. The trick to creating a visually appealing grouping is to use things with various shapes, sizes, and heights, but to use things that tie them all together. When you use small elements and carry them over that creates the cohesive look that makes it all come together.
I had some of the dry red beans and popcorn kernels leftover, so I decided to use the polka dot votives I bought from One Kings Lane (see One Kings Lane post) again. I told you that they were very versatile and could be used all year round. I divvied up the filler between the three and then placed one of the apple fig tart votives on top. If you have votive holders that are too tall for the candles you have, this is a great way to fix that. Just make sure that you are using something that won't catch on fire. So now I am officially ready on the inside for fall, but I am just waiting on the weather to catch up with me. Let me know how you get your home ready for fall and what great ideas you have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment