Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Glass Wall

Let me just first start off by saying that the Glass Wall is an absolutely fantastic place! The ambiance it cozy, relaxing, and modern. There are tons of candles mixed with shades of cream and aqua. It is a fairly small place, but it doesn't feel crowded. I am so glad that I got to try here for Houston Restaurant Weeks! I started off with a chicken and tarragon ravioli. It was served with fennel and snap peas in a prosecco and herb butter broth. It was light and buttery, there were tons of textures going on, and the sauce didn't overwhelm or overpower the dish. It was delicate and the perfect way to whet your appetite for the rest of the meal to come. Since I went with a friend, I also got to try the crab cake which was served with house made potato chips, and coleslaw. The crab cake wasn't too dry and the chips added the perfect crunch to the dish. The sauce was a peach aioli which I would have never thought to pair peach and crab. But I guess that's why I just enjoy the dishes that someone else creates!

I tried a Black & Blue martini that was a combination of blueberry, cherry, and vanilla vodka and served with a slice of orange. It was a little bit like a slushy because there was a tiny bit of ice in it. The orange add a slight citrus zing to it, creating a full developed palette of flavors.

For dinner, I ordered a corn flake crusted chicken fried steak. First, let me just say that I have never order this type of dish before, but it was such a creative dish that I just had to try it. It was accompanied by a corn relish and cheesy mashed potato goodness. It had a delicious gravy that had a faint bit of heat and helped to add the extra oomph the dish had. The crust was crispy and the mashed potatoes were amazing... sad to say that they are one of my food weaknesses. For not having tried may chicken fried steaks, I would have to say that there are very high expectations now.

Last, but certainly worth the wait, is dessert. I opted for a cherry and chocolate bread pudding drizzled with chocolate sauce and freshly whipped cream. The bread pudding had a nice texture where the bread and the custard melted together so that it didn't feel like you were eating cubes of bread. The cherry added a deep fruit flavor and the whipped cream added a touch of sweetness. The tiramisu cheesecake was topped with a cappuccino cream molded perfectly to the shape of the spoon.

Overall, this was an absolutely amazing meal and I can't wait to go back and try it again. If you haven't had a chance to stop in, be sure to do so! Just a heads up, they aren't open on Sundays, so don't wait until then. Let me know what you think when you try it out. Houston Restaurant Weeks, benefiting the Houston Food Bank, will be ending soon so don't delay anymore. Try something out before it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment