Thursday, August 16, 2012

Just a Little 'Taste'

 Houston Restaurant Weeks is one of the most awesome things that takes place in Houston. When a friend called me and wanted to do an impromptu dinner, of course we wanted to go somewhere for Houston Restaurant Weeks. This time took us to The Tasting Room in City Center. This was my first time out to City Center and boy was I missing out. There are tons of shops and restaurants.... it is a place to see and be seen. Their cozy atmosphere and impressive wine list compliment an absolutely delicious menu. I started off with some mini grilled cheese sandwiches and some parmesan truffle french fries. The fries were served with a garlic butter dipping sauce. (So unhealthy, but so good!) The grilled cheese was made with goat cheese and topped with a tomato jam. The jam helped balance out the saltiness of the cheese. It was melted and gooey, like a grilled cheese should be. 


Next came a chicken tortilla soup. It was served in more of a puree style in that there was a slight bit of texture to it. It was topped with a pinch of cheese, a drizzle of avocado cream, and a few tortilla strips for crunch. It wasn't too terribly spicy, but would be perfect for a cold fall evening. (I know, I know. Keep dreaming.) Up next was a garlic and sage chicken served with cippolini onions, spinach, and potatoes. The sauce was a pan gravy so it had all the flavors of the dish soaked into it. The onions were a bit sweet, the spinach wasn't too terribly soggy, and the potatoes still had their shape. This dish was earthy and comforting, moist and full of a ridiculous amount of flavor. I have to be honest though. By this point, I was getting pretty full, however, I have never turned down a dessert. I know that there is a first time for everything, but this was not going to be that time. 


 Finally, it was time for dessert. Since I was with a friend, I had the opportunity to actually taste two desserts. I ordered a pistachio pound cake and she ordered zeppoles with raspberry and chocolate dipping sauces. Zeppoles are sort of like doughnuts holes, but have a slightly different texture. They weren't all that flavorful plain, but add the sauces and it was a whole new world. The pistachio pound cake was a Bon Apetit editor favorite and it was probably one of my new favorite desserts. It wasn't too sweet, there was crunch from the pistachios, and sweetness from the honey and cream it was topped with. The pound cake was delicious the cream was whipped to perfection. It was like eating a cloud (though I haven't actually done that). The Tasting Room was an amazing choice and I will put it on my list of places to go back to! I am so glad that I was able to try it out and definitely enjoyed what I ate. Be sure to let me know where you go for Houston Restaurant Weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment