Sunday, November 24, 2013

Two Bries in a Pod


So if you have checked in with my blog, you might notice that I have a thing for baked Brie. It's delicious and I am not ashamed to admit that I love this cheese. For the Thanksgiving potluck we had at work I brought two different types - a sweet and a savory. This time I decided to use fillo dough instead of puff pastry. Using the fillo dough added some crunch, but not as much dough as when using the puff pastry. I chose to do a cranberry orange one and a sundried tomato artichoke one. They were both pretty delicious and it was hard to decide which one was better since they so different.
Cranberry Orange Chutney Brie
4 sheets of fillo dough, thawed
1 8 oz round of Brie
1 jar of cranberry orange chutney*
2 handfuls almonds, slivered
1 egg white 
coconut oil spray
*Note: If you can't find this, then you can use dried cranberries and either apricot or raspberry jam.

Sundried Tomato Pesto Artichoke Brie
4 sheets of fillo dough, thawed
1 8 oz round of Brie
3/4 cup of sundried tomato pesto
1/2 cup of marinated artichokes, chopped
1 egg white
coconut oil spray

Directions:
The process is the same for both Bries, the only difference was how I put on the toppings. Preheat the oven to 400F and be sure to spray the baking sheet with coconut oil. First take the fillo dough and fold the sheet in half. Place them on top of each to make a star pattern. For the cranberry orange Brie, I sliced the cheese in half. I covered the top of one half with slivered almonds and the cranberry orange chutney. I put the other half on and then on top of that one added more almonds and chutney.
I wrapped the fillo dough around the cheese and brushed with egg white to seal the cheese package and give it a nice golden brown color. I laid out 4 more sheets of the fillo dough for the pesto Brie and put the cheese wheel on top. For this one, I only put the toppings on the top of the cheese. I just estimated the pesto and the artichokes, but you can measure it out if you want. I put enough pesto on the top to cover it and then roughly chopped the artichoke. Then I wrapped the cheese and brushed the outside with egg white.
Bake for about 20 minutes and then let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with any kind of cracker and you have yourself a delightful appetizer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment