Monday, November 18, 2013

Tiny Boxwoods

I love brunch places and when they serve dinner that's even better. Tiny Boxwoods is a fabulous little place tucked away next to Thompson & Hanson. They have wonderful outdoor seating area and though the inside is small the entire back wall is the open kitchen. There were tons of candles and heaters which were perfect for a super chilly fall night. The fun thing about Tint Boxwoods is that they have a seasonal menu so things are always changing. I decided to start off with a white wine mojito. I am not sure what kind of wine they used, but it was a lovely and refreshing beverage. The mint added freshness and a tiny bit of sweetness. Who would have thought that wine and rum would go so well together, but it definitely did. If you are looking for a different take on wine this is a great drink to try. 

Like usual, I was having a difficult time deciding what to order. I started with a pumpkin gnocchi served with a bacon maple jam and fresh sage. The gnocchi were very tender and full of flavor. There was a crunch on the outside and they sort of melted on the inside. There was a super yummy bacon maple jam. This jam was sweet, but the salt from the bacon cut through some of the sweetness. Plus it had pieces of bacon in it which added to the texture of the dish. The pumpkin and the jam created a delicious symphony of flavors.

I ordered the fall pizza for my entree which was a super thin, cracker like crust topped with fresh figs, prosciutto, goat cheese and a balsamic reduction. I loved that the crust so thin because I didn't feel like I was eating unnecessary amount of bread. The prosciutto was a little fatty for me, but to be fair I don't eat a ton of prosciutto. The figs added sweetness and was a perfect counter to the tang of the goat cheese. The best part about this pizza is that the toppings were the shining star, not the crust. The balsamic vinegar served as the sauce, but between the goat cheese and the balsamic reduction I definitely didn't think this pizza was dry. This was a lovely combination of some ingredients that I don't get to eat a lot of, so it wasn't just another pizza. I think that this may be one of my new favorite places for dinner! I heard that the shrimp and grits were pretty delicious so I need to go back and try those. If you are looking for a great place for a cozy dinner, then head on over to Tiny Boxwoods or their sister restaurant Tiny No. 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment