Friday, November 29, 2013

Skinny Pumpkin Pie


I think that the tradition of a “Friendsgiving” is really neat so lucky for me I was able to celebrate it this year. I decided to do a simple menu that included the Thanksgiving staples: turkey, green beans and pumpkin pie. Of course this meal needed to include baked Brie, so I made this cranberry orange Brie. The green beans were not in the traditional casserole however. I chose to do roasted green beans with a pinch of mozzarella cheese and a skinny pumpkin pie. The pie used fewer eggs, cream and sugar than a regular pie would include, hence making it skinny. I promise you won’t really miss them because it tastes just as good as the regular version.

Ingredients:
1 pie crust, frozen
1 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
2 egg whites
¾ cups brown sugar
15 oz can of organic pumpkin
¼ cup eggnog (the original recipe called for a 1/2 cup nonfat milk but this was the only milk product I had on hand so I substituted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:
In a mixer bowl, beat together the canned pumpkin and the softened butter until smooth and well mixed.
Add in ¾ cup of brown sugar.
After scraping down the bowl, add in the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Once those have been mixed, add in the eggnog (or milk), the egg and the egg whites to the mix. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
Pour the filling into the thawed pie crust. Place the filled pie on a baking pan to help minimize any spills. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Cut into slices and serve.  This is supposed to serve 8 but I think it may serve more, depending on how big you cut the slices. If you are feeling extra indulgent, you can add a dollop of whipped cream or sprinkle with cinnamon. Let me know how you like this lightened up version of this Thanksgiving dessert. It's a way to have your pie and eat it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment