Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tex-Mex Necessities

There are countless number of food "accidents" that have resulted in the creation of some the most popular foods, and tortilla chips are no exception. Tortillas chips were introduced to the mass market by Rebecca Webb Carranza as a way to reuse the tortillas that weren't perfectly shaped. These fried tortillas triangles have now become a must have for any occasion. As a bonus there is a national tortilla chip day, so be sure to mark your calendar for the celebration on February 24.

Around here, people think that Tex-Mex equals real Mexican food. However, there are several differences. Traditionally, you don't serve chips and salsa and using yellow cheese is a big no no. For me, those are some of my favorite things when going out for Tex-Mex. Each place has it's own variation, so in celebration of Cinco de Mayo week, I have decided to compile a list of my favorite restaurant chips and dips.



1. Chuy's: What can I say, the creamy jalapeno dip is definitely something to write home about. It is pretty addictive and always keeps you coming back for more. They use a thin chip that can usually stand up to the dip, but there are usually a couple of breakages so beware. As a bonus, during happy hour, there is a nacho car where you can make your own queso. There salsa is pretty decent as well, though sometimes I find it a bit too spicy for my taste. You can see the chunks of jalapenos so you know they are actually in there and mixing the salsa and the jalapeno dip, makes for a great combination. If you haven't been here before, this is definitely on my list of "go tos" for Tex-Mex.



2. Torchy's Tacos: Originating in Austin, they just recently opened a location in Houston. I am a huge fan of guacamole and can't imagine ever getting tired of it. When I first visited the restaurant, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The guacamole is some of the best I have ever had. It has some chunks of avocado mixed in, creating a great mix of chunky and smooth. You could definitely tell that they used fresh avocado, and there was the slightest bit of a kick to in. Queso is something that I am a little more cautious about trying since I have had some pretty bad queso. When I saw it on the menu at Torchy's, I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprise to find not only was there a bite to it, but they also mixed in guacamole! Talk about a combination. The best part is that the chips are on the thicker side to accommodate the chunky guacamole and were able to deliver without breaking.



3. Lupe Tortillas: Until I came here, I had never thought to use charro type beans as a dip. I was critical because sometimes they can be pretty bland, but boy was I wrong. These have a great balance of spice and the addition of bacon adds just the right amount of salt and smokey flavor. They are great as a dip, but also on their own as well. However, their super thin chips break pretty easily when you are trying to eat the beans, but they can scoop the salsa pretty easily. Their salsa is fresh and spicy, so if you are not up to the heat it might be hard to handle.

So grab a chair and try some of my favorites out if you haven't already. I love getting suggestions, so feel free to leave a comment with your favorites!

3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to ask. What is the name of your blog?

      Delete