Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fresh Take on Flowers

Photo credit: Michael Partenio
If I had a million dollars, I would want fresh flowers in every room. There is something about the bright colors, interesting shapes, and wonderful smells that keeps me smiling. Some of my favorites are the iris and the orchid, but I usually use alstroemeria. Known as the Peruvian Lily, it comes in so many different color combinations that I usually have a few different options. I look for ways to combine flowers and the ambiance of candles and saw this precious piece on Pinterest. It was a great twist on displaying flowers and perfect for my small table. These super simple votives are actually cordial glasses filled with water with a single daisy placed on top. Top with a ribbon covered tea light and you you good to go.

Another great way to spice up flowers in a vase is to add slices of lemon or lime to the water. It won't hurt the flowers and adds a great spring touch to the arrangement. I used these beautiful orange pink alstroemeria and tied a cream ribbon around the vase. I don't have that many vases and ribbons can change the look of the arrangement in a second. If you are feeling even more creative, you can line a cylinder vase with the slices for a more polished look. The free floating pieces make it less fussy and more playful. Oranges would also be a great fruit to slice and use as well. If you want to forgo the flowers all together, fruit can also be another fantastic go to for table decor.

Post a picture of your favorite arrangement, and hopefully these summertime hints will help keep your flowers looking super summery.

No comments:

Post a Comment