Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fresh From the Oven


I just got this brand new KitchenAid mixer as a graduation present and decided to put it to good use. While trying to think of what I wanted to make, I looked at the counter and saw that I had some bananas that were ripening quickly. Not wanting to make a dessert, I thought why not make something I haven't had in forever. Chocolate chip banana nut bread. As much as I like regular banana nut bread...and know that it is much healthier, the combination of chocolate, bananas, and nuts is magical. Plus, I knew it was someone's favorite, so I decided to make it especially for them.

Almost done, just a bit longer!
Sometimes banana nut bread can be very fussy. The bread can be overcooked and dry or it can have a golden crust and be barely cooked on the inside. I took a shot and used a recipe I found via Pinterest from Tidy Mom. What I found interesting about this recipe was that it did not use buttermilk. I have not made tons of banana nut bread, but I am fairly certain that most recipes called for it. Visit my 'Foods to Die for' board on Pinterest to find the recipe or feel free to find it on her website.

Perfect Golden Brown Crust
Luckily for me, I had a kitchen helper which made it more fun and a bit more interesting. Sometimes carefully reading directions is not always easy for him, so we had a few mishaps. However, those are usually just his added touches to make everything more enjoyable. Despite a few mix ups, the batter came together and made it into the pan in one piece. The most difficult thing was mashing the bananas since I don't have a potato masher. Other than that, it was super simple. You mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately and then combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts and put into the pan. I have found that my oven bakes much more quickly, so I usually cut the baking time down. The recipe called for 60 minutes, but mine was done in 45 minutes.

Ready to be Devoured!
Let's just say that this recipe was a keeper and I will be using it again because it was fantastic! The outside had a golden crust and the inside was thoroughly cooked through. It was moist and the chocolate chips had melted slightly, but still held their shape. Honestly, I am not sure if it was the new mixer, my kitchen helper, the new pan, the recipe, or all of these things, but this was the most perfect loaf of chocolate chip banana nut bread I have ever made!

If you have another great recipe you would like me to try or decide to make this one, come back and let me know how it turns out. Make sure that you try out this recipe immediately. For now, the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip banana nut bread that has just been pulled out of the oven is calling my name! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment