Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pizza, Pizza!

After you visit the birthplace of Italian food, some how nothing at home seems as good. In my travels in Italy, I had some absolutely delicious pizza. The special thing about their pizza is the super thin, cracker like crust which allows the toppings to shine. I am not one for large amounts of dough with my pizza, but unfortunately around here is seems like that's the norm. However, I did find a place that may come pretty close to some of the real deal pizza from Italy... Alto Pizzeria, located in West Ave.

I don't go out for pizza often, so when I found this place I was totally thrilled. The menu is simple, offering a selection of starters, soups, salads, pasta, calzones, and pizza. They have a pretty extensive wine list, however, the white wine sangria is what caught my eye. Unlike some of the ones I have had in the past, it had a natural sweetness from the fruit. Garnished with a swizzle stick of blueberries, this was definitely a perfect summer treat. I could imagine myself sitting in a piazza, sipping sangria anxiously waiting for my pizza to arrive.

Going to dinner with others is always fun because usually they are willing to share with you, so you get to try more of the menu. We opted for the classic male pizza, chock full of mushrooms, onions, and a variety of meats, and the margherita pizza. The first pizza surprisingly had a good amount of heat to it and enough toppings to actually recognize what they were. The margherita used cherry tomatoes, which exploded in your mouth when you bit in. The freshness of the basil complemented the tomatoes and saltiness of the mozzarella all came together to form the perfect bite of pizza.

This is a place to write home about and I will be going back for another trip down memory lane. If you have been there, let me know what you tried so that I can be sure to put it on my list for next time. Stop by and enjoy a little slice of Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment