Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Oh Mother...



Hopefully you have looked at your calendar recently and seen that this Sunday is Mother's Day. I love my mom and am so appreciative for all that she has done for me, despite all the frustrations I have probably caused. I think back to the hand print cards and macaroni necklaces that I have given her and know that even back then it was difficult to make it just right. Now however, I always seem to have trouble when it comes to finding the perfect gift for her. I like to challenge myself and think of something outside the box. I know I always appreciated ideas, so I thought I would share some with you. Here are some of the things that I have done for her in the past and will keep in mind for next year.

1. Coupon Book: This is perfect because it can be personalized however you want to. I put things like doing laundry, ironing, making dinner, or taking her to lunch. It can be hand made or done on the computer. It is really up to you on how creative you want to be.

2. Photo collage or Scrapbook: Taking the time to sort through pictures back when they weren't digital usually ended up taking me awhile because I found myself getting lost in all the pictures. Now it is much easier. Thanks to technology, I can search pictures by faces or events and print them immediately. I know that scrapbooking can be a bit overwhelming at first, but let me assure you I am not a professional and I think mine turned out pretty well. You can include things like quotes or mementos, like tickets or programs in the book as well. This takes a bit more time then the coupon book, so make sure you leave yourself enough time to get in touch with your inner artist.

3. Hobby basket: Find something your mom likes to do in her "spare time" (I know, I know, no one has this anymore), and create your own gift basket filled with goodies just for her. Maybe she likes gardening, crafts, scrapbooking, or outdoor activities.

4. Spa day at home: I love going to the spa, but it isn't always in my budget. I have found that the internet is a great resource for at home spa treatments that can usually be with things on hand. I made a great exfoliating brown sugar body scrub. What's great about this is that you can create your own scents and you usually have enough to have more than one spa day. Try out the body scrub I made and let me know what you think.

Brown Sugar Scrub:
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil.


Mix all the ingredients together and store in a container with a lid. Make sure you do this in a tub or on a piece of plastic because it can get a little messy when you are using it.


Leave me a comment with some of your ideas and I wish you and your mother a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment