Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Morning Breakfast

Breakfast is a meal that I could eat at any time because there are so many options. You can either opt for the sweet side, like pancakes and waffles, or the savory side, like eggs and potatoes. To me, there is something about Sunday that means a big leisurely breakfast with the whole works. I love hearing about great breakfast places and the Food Network gave me a great option. When you are in San Antonio, you absolutely must stop by The Magnolia Pancake Haus. This place is only open for breakfast and lunch, and there is always a wait! If you want to go on Saturday or Sunday, expect a long wait, but I promise it will be worth it.


When you first open the menu, you are greeted with a wide variety of pancakes, waffles, and all sorts of egg dishes. However, there is one thing that will surely catch your eye. This place offers something that you can't find anywhere else. "Authentic Munchener Apfel Pfannekuchen", pronounced fan-e-koo-kan. This is basically a Bavarian apple pie pancake that's a family recipe. Though I really wanted to try this amazing sounding dish, I have found that I like to try my good ole favorites to see how they do them. For me, this is a stack of chocolate chip pancakes. All I can say is that the batter was light and airy and the chocolate chips melted perfectly into the batter. They weren't overly sweet and had the perfect chip to batter ratio. I think they definitely nailed the pancakes! Plus they are the size of a plate, so you most likely have leftovers to enjoy again.



They also have a fabulous pecan waffle that was very light and the added sweetness of the maple syrup gave it a pecan pie like taste. As big the plate, this waffle is sure to fill you up with just the right amount of morning sweetness. I have been to a fair number of breakfast places and sometimes the hash browns are a real disappointment. They are usually dry and bland or not crispy and limp. However, I was very pleasantly surprised at how delicious these hash browns were. They were grated with just the right thickness, had plenty of flavor, and were definitely crisped to perfection. Let's just say there were no leftovers of these.

The Magnolia Pancake Haus definitely lived up to all the hype and it's a good thing that I don't live closer because I might just become a regular. If you are going to be in the area, be sure you stop by at any time and try it out because I promise it's worth it!

 


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna
    You surely made my "Bran Flakes and skim-milk"
    breakfast seem pathetic --- but
    the pancakes sounded scrumptious

    Have fun
    wyowalker

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were delicious, but I am sure that your breakfast was much healthier. :)

    ReplyDelete