Sunday, May 27, 2012

Essential Kitchen Tools

The kitchen is a place where magic happens and you can create some of the most wonderful things for your tummy. However, without the right tools it can be very time consuming. Creating the perfect toolbox for the kitchen doesn't have to expensive or overwhelming. What I have found is that it is an evolving process. I love finding new things that make being in the kitchen fun. One year for Christmas, I had found a garlic zoom at Williams Sonoma. All it was was a little circular box with wheels and a blade. You put the garlic cloves in and rolled it on the counter to chop the garlic. Let's just say garlic got put in everything.

I think that some of the essentials are a spatula, whisk, tongs, kitchen scissors, turner, and a spoon. From there, you begin to see what you might need based on the things you like to make. Kitchen tools are there to make your life easier, so for me I make pasta a lot and a pasta or slotted spoon comes in handy all the time. Once you have the essentials, then you get to add fun ones that you don't absolutely need to have but are just fun. I bake quite a bit, so a cake tester is very useful. Luckily for me, I got a really cute one, but toothpicks are usually something that are on hand and do the job just as well.

One of the newest ones, I have gotten is a lemon and lime juicer. I don't do a ton of juicing, but when I have to it's a pain. Somehow my hand is not as effective and I feel like I am wasting a lot of juice, especially with limes. I have seen the individual colored ones, like orange, yellow, and green for oranges, lemons, and limes, but not one like this. It can be used for lemons and limes. The larger bottom section holds the lemons and the middle section is for limes. All you do is put the half of whatever you are juicing in the appropriate section and squeeze. I think that it will be much better than me squeezing them by hand.

Though you can buy garlic chopped or minced, somehow using freshly peeled garlic makes everything ten times better. Since I use a lot of garlic, I decided it was time to invest in a garlic press. This one has a removable tray for easy cleaning. However, I was slightly upset when I found out this one did not have an awesome cleaning tool that pushes the garlic remains out of the holes. Oh, well. If you have never used one before, all you do is put the peeled clove in and squeeze directly into the pan.

I know that you are probably thinking that this is a pretty expensive toolbox, but it doesn't have to be. I am not a seasoned chef, so I am okay with not having professional grade tools, which can be very pricey. The higher end kitchen stores, like Willams Sonoma and Sur La Table, have these tools, but are more expensive. I have found that Marshalls has a lot of these for about half the price and they have well known brands like KitchenAid. I hope that you have a better idea of how to put together your own kitchen toolbox. Feel free to leave any questions you have. Let me know what your favorite kitchen tool is and if you know of any places to get great deals on tools.

2 comments:

  1. Jenna, a great place to find high end tools for a good deal (every now & then) is OneKingsLane. You have to subscribe to it, but they sell luxury brands and you will see great kitchen things every now and then. I love it for things around the home. Hope all is well with you & I enjoy your blog very much! Cheers, Shannon Silver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,

    Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have signed up and it looks fantastic! It looks like they have awesome things. You are too sweet! Thank you so much for reading! I hope that you are doing well and having a blast like always :) Let me know if you find anything else that's super cool or that you think might be a good story idea.

    Always,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete