Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's a Zoo Out There!

As a child one of my favorite things to do was go to the zoo. I remember riding in my stroller and seeing the huge display of pink flamingos at the entrance to the San Diego Zoo. They were the highlight of the trip and could sit and look at them all day. Only now do I realize how much they smell, so I usually spend less time around them. Nonetheless, I still enjoy watching those long-legged, pink birds. Whenever I take a trip, I always want to see the zoo, even though most zoos have the same animals. To me, going to a zoo is means I get to become an explorer. You never know what you will find around each corner and where the path will lead you.




Rain or shine, hot or cold, nothing can stop me from getting my zoo fix. The Houston Zoo is fantastic and I will never grow tired of going to visit. They are constantly changing and rearranging, so there is always something new. For me, I feel like it is literally in my backyard which makes it even easier for me to pop in. Located in a bustling part of town, there is a serene and calming feeling that I get when I enter the park. Being a bystander and watching the animals go about their normal routines, reminds me that there is an ebb and flow to life. Just like animals, life gets loud and crazy at times, but there will always be periods of calm, and those much needed afternoon naps.


One of the best experiences I had, was when I went for my birthday and was able to get up close and personal to feed the giraffes. It was an incredible experience! A mom and baby giraffe swayed to the music as they chomped on leaves of lettuce, delighting all those around them. I was truly amazed at how regal they are.


In case you haven't heard, the Houston Zoo will be hosting a Dinosaurs! exhibit, so check out www.houstonzoo.org for all the details, as well as all their other exciting events. Leave a comment with your favorite zoo memory or those crazy stories like of the monkey taking a visitor's hat. Even if you aren't an avid zoo lover like me, be sure to visit your nearest zoo because you never know what you will find!




No comments:

Post a Comment