Saturday, March 2, 2013

Welcome to Rodeo Houston!

If you know anyone from Houston, you know that March is rodeo season and the whole town smells like barbecue. I will admit that country music is not my favorite, but I am a HUGE fan of the food! There is really nothing like it and literally you have to watch what you eat the rest of the year to be able to indulge in its deliciousness. You just have to embrace the fact that everything is deep fried and then you are ready to go. The best part about it is that every year they somehow manage to find something new to deep fry. Chicken fried deviled eggs. Yes, I know its a very odd combination and I will be honest and say that it really wasn't my favorite but as least I gave it a try. Really it was a texture thing for me, but the egg was coated in a chicken tender coating and I can't honestly say that I know what the filling was. If you are feeling adventurous, give them a try or you can opt for the cricket pizza... and no I will not be trying that! I just can't do it. Though the eggs weren't that amazing, the seasoned fries made up for it.

You can't leave the rodeo without trying some deep fried dessert. This trend started with the fried twinkie and then the snickers and Oreos. I can say that the Oreos were heaven in a bag, but then I discovered the fried cookie dough and it was game over. Fried cookie dough is melting chocolatey goodness sprinkled with powered sugar. The dough melts into the funnel cake batter coating and it becomes heaven on a stick. This is the perfect dessert for everyone that eats the raw cookie dough, even though the package says do not consume raw. This is probably literally a million calories, but I can promise that it will be totally worth it! Let me just say that in no way are the fried Oreos bad, I just happen to think that this is better.

Don't fret though if cookie dough isn't your thing. You can always try the fried cheesecake. This is a rich creamy cheesecake center covered in a cinnamon graham cracker crust and then covered in funnel cake batter. Like all deep fried desserts, it gets a healthy dose of powdered sugar. I think that the cinnamon graham cracker crust is what makes it so awesome because it's unexpected. Make sure that you share this with a friend as it is very filling. The cheesecake filling is light and fluffy and actually better than some cheesecakes I have had. Whether you are going for the food or the entertainment, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has something for everyone and will be a truly memorable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment