Sunday, March 17, 2013

Farewell Rodeo Houston!

As I made one final trip to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, I thought about what I would like my last rodeo meal to include. There were so many choices and I kept finding new fried treats that it became very difficult. However, I opt for some barbecue because you can't go to the rodeo and not have some type of barbecue. I chose a chopped beef sandwich with some Texas taters. The chopped beef was good, but I wasn't really a fan of the sauce. I am very picky about the sauce as I usually don't like barbecue sauce. I know I'm pretty sure that I am one of a few people that says that and I will probably be outlawed because of it. The Texas taters on the other hand were really delicious. They were handmade, fresh, super thin potato chips. They were crunchy and crisped to perfection, with just a touch of salt. Honestly, they were so much better than regular potato chips you buy at the store, though I haven't quite figured out why. I am not sure if it is because they don't have to be made to withstand being on the shelf or what, but they were gone in an instant. I think perhaps that dessert at the rodeo is the thing that I think about the most. We walked past this stand that was all about chocolate chip cookies and I had had their cookie dough before which was beyond words, but it was the smell of the cookies baking that was so intoxicating. So we decided on an order of chocolate chip cookies. These literally tasted like the cookie dough that I had before! They melted in your mouth and were addictive. Though it wasn't something super crazy, it was a comfort dessert that just made you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. I couldn't have asked for a better way to end my "rodeo season" this year. Thank you Rodeo Houston for another wonderful year.

No comments:

Post a Comment