Thursday, March 7, 2013

Roots Bistro

Roots Bistro is a unique restaurant that focuses on using fresh, local ingredients and catering to almost every dietary restriction you could possibly think of. It is the sister concept to Roots Juice, the yummy juice bar in City Center. When you walk in, you are greeted with a warm glow from burning candles and dark wood tables and chairs. The walls are a calming cream color and the flowy curtains on the windows keep everything feeling airy and bright. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I ended up being able to try two different meals. The Longhorn sliders were mini burgers topped with fresh mozzarella, a sriracha sauce, and some mixed baby greens dressed in a champagne vinaigrette on top of a warm square of bread. These burgers were juicy and flavorful. The crisp greens added a nice textural element and the half a bun helped to keep them from feeling too heavy.

 The other dish I was able to try was the raw "squashsta". What is "squashsta" you might ask? It is a very thin pasta made from squash and tossed with beets, sesame seeds, and cilantro in a ginger dressing. This was served cold and tasted like an Asian salad. The crunch of the veggies made it a light and refreshing dish, and it was gone before I knew it. I had never seen a dish like this before, but I would definitely order it again. I don't believe that I had beets before, but they were sure yummy. Using the raw ingredients, showcased their simple, natural flavors that complemented each other very well. Though we did not have dessert, they were definitely unique. I guess next time I will need to go back so that I can try the lemon thyme pound cake. If you are looking for a very unique and local meal, be sure to try out Roots Bistro.

No comments:

Post a Comment