Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Since Halloween is a perfect day to talk about pumpkins, I have one pumpkin recipe that will almost trick you, it's so easy. What's my trick? The crock pot. It sounds a bit weird to make bread, but I can vouch and say that it makes a bread that is cooked all the way through. One of my Pinterest adventures led me to a recipe for crock pot pumpkin bread. It never crossed my mind to make bread in the crock pot and thought I would give it a try. I am continually surprised at what an awesome appliance the crock pot is. The recipe from Lets Get Crockin (you can find the recipe here and on my Pinterest) is simple and put together as if you were baking it in the oven. The best part was that I happened to have all the ingredients on hand!
First, you mix together the oil, brown sugar, and regular sugar; then add in the pumpkin and eggs. Add in the sifted flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well. I was feeling festive and threw in some chocolate chips, but those are optional. Grease a loaf pan and pour in the batter. Literally, the hardest part of this recipe is setting the crock pot up. Add two cups of water to the pot and put in the loaf pan. It sits on top of the edge of the crock pot (as shown in the picture). Next, lay paper towels over the top to catch all the moisture that will condensate on the lid. I used 8 paper towels. Place the lid over the paper towels and cook on high for 2 1/1 hours.
I'm serious that this is a delightfully simple recipe and the aroma the comes from the baking bread is amazing! To check make sure it is baked, I recommend inserting a toothpick into the center, which should come out clean. Let it cool and then cut yourself a slice and enjoy! I don't usually put anything on my breads or muffins, but I wanted to try the pumpkin cream cheese from Trader Joe's. I put it on half so that I could taste the bread with and without it. It was not an overwhelming pumpkin flavor and gave it a hint of creaminess. But by itself, this bread was just as delicious! It was not crumbly and the little pockets of melted chocolate created a wonderful symphony of flavors with each bite. However, I know that it would be just as yummy if you didn't use the chocolate chips. You can also make a simple glaze and drizzle it over the top.

However you decide to customize it, I know that you will be impressed. I know I was and will definitely be trying another bread in the crock pot. Who knew that steaming baked good worked out so well?! (Maybe I will finally get the perfectly cooked banana nut bread I have been wishing for...) I wish everyone a Happy Halloween and I hope that you have had a day of treats and not tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment