Sunday, October 21, 2012

Soft Pumpkin Spice Iced Cookies

I know it's been a while since I have posted about pumpkin (and I am sure some of you are really excited about that), but I figured that I better get back to the pumpkin before it's too late. The shopping centers have already put up the Christmas decorations and the countdown to the holidays has begun. I found this great recipe on Pinterest from The Baker Chick for soft frosted pumpkin spice cookies. The recipe looked pretty easy and the cinnamon cream cheese frosting sounded amazing. You can find the original recipe here or on Pinterest. I have never made a pumpkin cookie and figured that this would be a great one to try. They came together very quickly and made enough to share.
You should have most of the ingredients on hand, expect for maybe the pumpkin and some of the spices. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then add in the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients and then drop onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes.While the cookies bake and cool, make the icing.
The interesting thing about this icing is that there is no liquid. It is only butter, cream cheese (I used non fat), powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Cream together butter and cream cheese. Then add in powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Finish by adding in the cinnamon and vanilla. However, mine got a bit too thin, so I ended up frosting my cookies twice (maybe it was because I used the non fat cream cheese, though I am not sure). I let the first layer harden and then added a second layer of icing. Even though, my icing turned out more like a glaze, the cookies still turned out very well. They weren't overly sweet, had a great pumpkin flavor that was highlighted with fall spices, and everything came together with the icing.
These were so delicious! They really were soft and fluffy on the inside, but they didn't get soggy. Since they made so many, I decided to share most of them and got rave reviews. I would say that this cookie is definitely going to be making another appearance and may even become the cookie that I always have on hand. These are a super quick and easy cookie that you can go to whenever you need to whip up a quick dessert. Make sure you try these because you won't be disappointed. Enjoy these pumpkin delights!

No comments:

Post a Comment