Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

Fall is finally here! Though the weather in Houston only hints at fall, the weather in Tulsa was the perfect indication that it was very appropriate to break out the pumpkin recipes. While on one of my pinning sprees, I found this wonderful pumpkin spice hot chocolate recipe on Pinterest via Baking with Blondie. It's super simple to make and doesn't have any extra added sugar to it. What I have found is that the best way to make hot chocolate is on the stove because the ingredients seem to come together much better than in the microwave. Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking the microwave versions because sometimes that's all I have time for, but if you have the time this is the way to do it. 
This is made with skim milk (you can use your favorite kind), hot chocolate mix, pumpkin pie spice, a pinch of salt, pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie filling), and vanilla. I guess they recommend not using the pie filling because of the added ingredients or sugar, but I may just try it one time to see what happens. You start by whisking together the milk, hot cocoa, vanilla, and salt in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. 
 Next, you add in the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Let it heat up and when the temperature is to your liking, start whisking away to incorporate. I started whisking as it was heating, and I think that the ingredients didn't incorporate as much as they should have. Now, I will be forced to try this recipe again to see if I can't get it down pat... oh shoot! Pour into cups and top with whipped cream and a few dashes of pumpkin pie spice and some marshmallows if you want. You can also make your own whipped cream (super simple to make), however, the kitchen I was in was definitely not equipped for that, so the store bought low-fat version had to suffice. To get the whipped cream recipe, click here.
The surprising thing I found was that it wasn't at all sweet except from the whipped cream. Much different from the usual sweetness of hot cocoa. It was definitely a perfect way to celebrate the start of fall and the colors and aroma were intoxicating. This is a great twist on a favorite holiday drink. Plus it gives you a reason to start drinking hot chocolate already, which is a perfect excuse for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment