Monday, October 7, 2013

Savory Baked Brie

I am not sure what it is about baked Brie that gets me all excited, but I decided that I was going to make another one with more savory ingredients. This time I decided to use sundried tomatoes, capers and black olives. The recipe that I adapted called for phyllo dough instead of puff pastry, but I decided to use puff pastry as that's what I had on hand. It was actually good that I did because this one didn't turn out quite as well as the other one. It may have been that the Brie wasn't triple cream or that the there was too much olive oil from the sundried tomatoes, but this one was a bit more liquidy than the first one. Don't get me wrong, it was not necessarily a failure in the taste department, just a little subpar in the appearance.

Ingredients:
2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
1 lb triple cream Brie cheese
2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes
2 tablespoons capers
2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
1 egg white

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350F. Place one sheet of the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silipat.
Slice the wheel of Brie in half and top with sundried tomatoes, black olives and capers. Make sure that you drain all the liquid off the tomatoes and capers.
Top with the other half of the brie and place on the sheet of puff pastry. Take the other sheet and place it over the wheel of cheese. Make sure to seal the edges of the puff pastry together. You can either leave the extra dough on or cut it off.
Brush the sealed packet of deliciousness with an egg white and then bake for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven once the crust is golden brown and let sit for 5 minutes. Then you are ready to cut into this cheesy package of goodness! Serve and enjoy this magnificent appetizer that will be sure to please the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment