Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Butternut Squash Chili with Quinoa

It's the beginning of fall and the start of chili season. I have recently found a few different recipes that I can't wait to try. The temperature is slowly but surely starting to come down, so I figured that I could make my first chili of the year. This recipe is for butternut squash chili with quinoa. It sounded like it would be a hearty and healthy fall dish. It was a little bit on the sweet side because of the squash and it didn't have the liquid that usually goes along with chili. If you are looking for a vegetarian twist on chili, this is a great recipe to try. I did have to make some adjustments to the chili and guess on some of the directions since they left some of that information out.

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or 1 cinnamon stick)
1 teaspoon ground oregano
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
3/4 cup of quinoa
1 cup water
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of black beans (or kidney beans)
1 teaspoon ground coriander (or one fresh bunch)
olive oil
pepper

Directions:
Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Then peel and cubed. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes at 400F. *Note: It made be easier to cube and peel the squash after roasting it. It was pretty hard to cube, however this was the first time I have ever used a whole butternut squash. Usually I by the already cubed kind, but this one looked pretty good at the farmer's market so I gave it a try.
While the butternut squash roasts, cook the quinoa uncovered on low for 10 minutes. This was the first time I cooked with quinoa that wasn't the quick cook version. It took me a little to figure out that it needed to be uncovered (yes it boiled over) and what setting to cook it on. If you use the quick cook quinoa, just follow the directions on the package.
While the squash and quinoa cool for a few minutes, cook the onions and garlic in a large pot. You will know when the onions are down as they will turn an opaque color.
Add in the dried oregano, ground cumin and chili powder until it fully coats the onions and the mixture becomes very fragrant.
Now is the time to put in the quinoa, butternut squash, the tomatoes and their juice, cinnamon and bay leaf. Let this simmer for 10 minutes. 
Add the beans and simmer for 5 minutes. It will be smelling very delicious by now I can promise you that. Exactly what a kitchen in the fall should smell like. Stir in the coriander and serve. Note: I have never seen fresh coriander, so I not sure where you can get it. I have only every seen whole dried coriander or ground coriander, so if you know about the fresh version please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment