Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

During the fall, it seems that different "butters" start to become popular. Just to clarify, this doesn't actually have any butter in it. I think that the name comes from the similarity in consistency, but not in the ingredients. I haven't really tried many of these, let alone made one so I figured now was as good a time as any to try to make one. We all know it's now the season of pumpkin recipes so I decided to get on the boat and trying making a pumpkin butter. I am try to make more use of my crock pot (because the idea of throwing some ingredients together in a pot and then leaving it alone is very appealing) and it's a slightly underrated kitchen appliance. This couldn't be easier to make and it a great hostess gift as well. It makes a huge amount so you can definitely share and still have some to enjoy.

Ingredients:

1 15 oz can of pumpkin
1/2 cup low-sugar apple juice
3/4 cup brown sugar (the original recipe called for granulated sugar)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Directions:
Combine all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for about 5 hours. Make sure that you occasionally stir the butter to prevent it from getting too brown. The butter will be done when you can turn a spoon upside down and the butter stays.

Put the butter in containers and let it cool completely in the refrigerator. It will last about a week in the frig and up to 6 months in the freezer. I left some out to use immediately and then froze the rest in smaller containers. That way when I run out, I can pull out some more for a few days without it going bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment