Friday, May 24, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

Ever since I tried homemade granola bars, I realized that I could never eat a processed granola bar again. I guess you can call me a granola bar snob now, but they are so easy to make and you can make whatever kind you want. I used a basic recipe from Cooking Light and then added some additional mix-ins. Basically, there are three steps: toasting the dry ingredients, making the "glue" and baking. This recipe started by toasting oats, slivered almonds, and coconut flakes. Put those into a bowl and make the "glue". I don't know what the official name of it is, but it what holds everything together. Heat up canola oil, honey, and peanut butter. Once it is all melted pour it over the toasted dry ingredients and mix. I threw some raisins in before I added the "glue", but you can put anything else you want in. Once you gently mix everything together, it gets poured into an 11 x 17 glass baking dish and then baked for one hour. I don't think I bake them quite long enough to finish adhering together since they were kind of crumbly once you cut them. However, the clusters were super delicious. Though I can't say I am a certified granola bar pro, I do know that I will be making my own from now on and hopefully they will get a little better every time. I promise they will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment