Wednesday, January 16, 2013

La Ciudad Chicago Style

Sometimes you just need a quick getaway amidst the craziness of life, so luckily for me I have friends I can go visit. This visit took me to the beautiful city of Chicago. It was fun getting to see all the sights and catching up...which we of course had to do over food. The thing about Texans is that no matter where they go, they seem to gravitate to some kind of Tex-Mex. Of course, that was one of the first stops, dinner at La Ciudad. (The first one was an AMAZING two-story Target!) I was feeling adventurous and decided to try something brand new. I opted for chile rellenos because anything with cheese is usually pretty delicious. However, I was totally surprised when I tasted it and was literally overwhelmed with spiciness. It made it really difficult to enjoy, which was kind of disappointing. After topping it with a healthy dollop of sour cream, I was finally able to really taste the flavor and found it to be really yummy. I am not sure if it is usually that super duper spicy, but maybe I will give it another try in the future. At least now I can say I have tried it.

As my friends are pretty big fans of their Tex-Mex, they have been to La Ciudad a few times and are almost on the verge of being regulars, which does have its perks. As a bonus, we got to try the mocha tres leches. It was heavenly. The cake has a silk texture, but wasn't overly sweet or soggy. The hint of chocolately coffee flavor added depth to the dessert and was a nice twist on the a classic. One of the interesting things about Chicago is that in addition to the random soda tax they have, most restaurants are "bring your own alcohol". Plus, they don't usually charge a corkage fee and you can take the leftovers home with you. It's kind of a pretty sweet deal. Overall, La Ciudad was a great first meal in Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment