Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole

I am at the point where I am getting tired of the quick and easy breakfasts that you can grab and go, so it was time for a new recipe. A friend told me about this sweet potato sausage breakfast casserole she made and I decided to give it a try. This is a 7 ingredient dish that you can throw together and portion out so that you can grab and go. I made some adjustments to the recipe for things that I had on hand and used a 9 x 13 pan as the recipe didn't give a baking pan size. It turned out pretty well and incorporates some fall spices, so even though it's still summer outside the fall flavors are coming!

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
1 lb breakfast sausage (try to get the organic version with as little sugar as possible)
1 container sliced mushrooms (I used cremini mushrooms)
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup almond milk (the original recipe called for coconut milk)
Pepper to taste
Olive oil
Ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg (optional)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375.
Brown the sausage in a pan with some olive oil. Once it is cooked, drain off the liquid. In another pan, heat your olive oil and begin to sautee your onions. Pepper the onions while they are cooking. You can also add salt, but I don't typically use salt and especially because there is also sausage in this dish, I didn't add any. Also, I apparently wasn't thinking and started with a pan that was too small. Instead of creating more dishes for myself, I ended up cooking the onions and the mushrooms separately. Once the onions, were opaque and soft, transfer those to a plate and cook your mushrooms and then combine them with the onions.
Take your thinly sliced sweet potatoes and lay them out in the bottom of the pan. Then layer the sausage and mushroom/onion mixture on top. Top with the rest of the sweet potatoes. If you want to make this in a smaller pan, then create alternating layers of the sweet potatoes and the sausage and mushroom/onion mixture, but be sure that your top layer is sweet potatoes. Next, take your almond milk and add pepper. The original recipe suggested adding additional spices to the milk so I used ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Feel free to use whatever spices you want. Mix the spices and milk and drizzle it over the top of the casserole.
Cover with a piece of tinfoil and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked. My was in the oven for 30 minutes and the sweet potatoes were fork tender. This easy casserole is made with ingredients that will keep you full and ready to take on the day. The original recipe suggested serving it with eggs and avocado. Plus this would make a great breakfast for dinner option as it isn't sweet and is healthy but filling. If you are looking for a twist, a touch of creme fraiche might be a nice addition. Come back and let me know how you served your casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment