Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fall at Dunkin' Donuts

Even though the North is my hometown, I am slightly ashamed to say that have never had Dunkin' Donuts before. I am not quite sure why that never happened, but never fear I finally rectified that situation! During a series of interesting events, I found myself at a Dunkin' Donuts. Apparently, their coffee is delicious and rated better than Starbucks. I decided that I was going to make the comparison simple and just do a plain coffee test. I ordered a cup of the regular coffee and found that is had a smoother, less bitter taste than some of the black Starbucks coffee I have had. I however did not like that they did not have sleeves for their cups as it was a very hot beverage. It also felt like the cups were a bit flimsy since the top ended up popping off my cup and spilled down my leg. Between that and the coffee, itself I was fully awake and functioning. I have to admit it was a strong contender to Starbucks coffee, but in order to make a final call I think I would need to do a flavored drink test.

What was an even better pleasant surprise was that they had pumpkin munchkins! Munchkins are what they call donut holes, which if you ask me is a much cuter name. These were the cake donuts (which I was even more excited about) and the glaze wasn't too overly sweet. They were pretty dense and had a brilliant orange color with tons of fall spices in the donut batter. They weren't super crumbly, so they were easy to eat without making a huge mess. It had a good pumpkin flavor without being too artificial since I am sure they aren't using fresh pumpkin. I guess it's probably a good thing, I am not close to a Dunkin Donuts since I probably shouldn't be eating a lot of these little munchkins.

Dunkin' Donuts doesn't just serve donuts, they also serve breakfast sandwiches, regular sandwiches and muffins. Of course, the muffin of choice would be pumpkin since it's that time of year. The muffin had a coffee cake topping with an icing drizzle. The color of the muffin was slightly more yellow than the donut holes which was interesting. It had a similar flavor, but was a bit different though I couldn't put my finger on what made it different. The muffin had a light and crumbly texture and the crunchy coffee cake topping was a nice contrast. Whether you are looking for a donut or muffin, these two pumpkin treats were pretty good so if you are close to a Dunkin' Donuts be sure to try them before they are all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment