Friday, September 13, 2013

Fabulous Figs!

I have recently been introduced to the world of fresh figs and have realized that I have been missing out on some very yummy treats! I have had dried figs once or twice, but they are definitely not the same as fresh ones. Yet again Central Market got me into trouble because they had fresh figs on sale. With the guidance of a seasoned fig pro, I was instructed to try black figs and Turkish figs. You eat a fig like a grape, skin and all. The black figs are smaller and darker than the Turkish figs which have a more reddish pink color and are larger. The inside of a fig somewhat resembles a Venus Flytrap, but don't worry these aren't poisonous...they are sweet and delicious! The black figs are sweeter than the Turkish figs, but the Turkish ones are by no means tart. After trying these, I can say that I am a huge fan of figs! They are a great snack and can be used in tons of different recipes. Plus the might make an interesting and unique addition to a charcuterie plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment