Sunday, February 17, 2013

Delicate Daisy Wreath

The winter has come and gone and the weather is slowly getting warmer, so I figured that it was probably appropriate for me to start on my spring wreath. However, I think like most I have an issue with not having enough storage space, so I wanted to make something that was not so bulky, but simple and sweet. While perusing Pinterest for ideas, I can across the perfect wreath and it couldn't have been simpler to make. It used green fuzzy yarn for "grass" and embroidered daisy flowers to make a field of daisies wreath. Though the link only gave pictures and not the amount of supplies needed, I made by best guess and just went for it. You will need two packages of yarn, ribbon of any color, some straight quilting pins, and 1 1/2 yards of embroidered flower edging. This you will most likely need to find at a specialty fabric store. The daisies I found were yellow, so I used yellow ribbon to match. However, the ones in the original post I found were pink, so I think it's up to you on what color you want to go for. Keep in mind that you will need to find matching straight pins, so it's probably best to not go too crazy.
 The best part about this wreath is how simple it is to make, though I have to admit it is a bit time consuming. Start off with a styrofoam wreath and hot glue one end of the yarn to the wreath. All you do is just start wrapping the wreath in the yarn. You can make the "grass" as dense as you want. I made mine very tightly wrapped because I wanted it to look lush and for the stryofoam not to show through. Keep wrapping and wrapping and I promise you will eventually finish. It felt like forever, but it doesn't require much thinking so pop in a movie and you'll be done in no time.  
Once you get done with the yarn, it's time to add the flowers. I use a wreath hanger, so instead of using the ribbon to hang the wreath, I made a very small bow to put at the top. Next cut apart the daisies and attach them to the wreath using the straight pins. You can put as many on as you like in whatever pattern you want. I tried to do mine in a random fashion and included some on the inside and outside of the wreath. Now you are done! I told you it was super simple. The other fun part about this wreath is how versatile it can be. You can add some wreath picks for Easter or add some other flowers to it if you want to change it up. This is a dainty, feminine, and delicate wreath that will be easy to store and is the prefect way to welcome spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment