Sunday, August 11, 2013

Too Cute Cru

Sometimes you just need to get out of the city to clear your head and get a fresh perspective on things. A trip to the Deep South is just the thing the doctor recommended, so I packed my bags and headed to Charleston, South Carolina. Though Texas in the South, it's not quite the same. I wasn't quite sure of what to expect from Charleston, but I heard it was a beautiful place so I figured I probably couldn't go wrong with that. I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting, but Charleston didn't disappoint! So join me as we take a walk through the lovely city of Charleston.

I'm sure it's not hard to imagine that this journey will be filled with food and drinks because those are two of my favorite things, so the trip started to a quaint little place called Cru. Recommended to us by the hotel, this little spot is tucked away in a old house with a tiny porch that was full of charm. It was quite packed even for being after the usual lunch hour, but fortunately we had called ahead for reservations. (Reservations at pretty much anywhere in Charleston is a must!) After we had ordered, a basket of rosemary sourdough bread showed up on the table as well as a Fat Tire ale to help us plan the rest of the day. Whether they like it or not, my travel companions were pretty much required to share (Why not? You get to try so much more on the menu that way!) First up was a portobello mushroom mozzarella wrap with shoe string french fries. The french fries were slightly salted and crunchy with the nice soft inside. The wrap had tons of fresh, local veggies and melted mozzarella.

Though it was a little toasty outside, I couldn't help myself when I heard what the soup of the day was - truffle mushroom bisque. It wasn't a very heavy soup, it fact it was very delicate, but packed with tons of flavor. Though sometimes truffle can be very overwhelming, it complimented the mushrooms extraordinarily well. I ordered this with a grilled shrimp BLT. The bread was extra toasty and there was a very light layer of mayo, which I appreciated since most of the times there is way too much. This is the South and they do know how to properly cook bacon where is it super crunchy but somehow still, slightly chewy. The shredded lettuce was a nice touch so that there wasn't one bite with just bread and lettuce. The shrimp were grilled and juicy, not like some I have had. There really is a difference in that taste of fresh seafood. This little place should definitely be on your food list (which might get pretty long) to visit the next time you are in Charleston. This was a great place for a lite lunch to refuel ourselves for the next stop. Next up...Boone Hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment