Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Slightly North of Broad

When you are walking down the street, sometimes you stopped to look at something because of the name. We walked by a restaurant called Slightly North of Broad, aka SNOB because it was a name that got my attention. But you know a place must be good when you are looking at the menu and a stranger stops to tell you how it is one of their favorite places. So what did that mean... we needed to try it out. Because we were all finally reunited, we needed to celebrate and so I did that with a refreshing cocktail called Cathead Blues. This was made with honeysuckle vodka, lemonade and muddled blueberries. I have never had honeysuckle vodka, but it is definitely delicious. (Now I just need to figure out where I can get some around here) The fresh blueberries and the tartness of the lemonade were refreshing and mixed quite well.
The South is well known for grits, and shrimp and grits is a quintessential Southern dish, so of course that was definitely on the list of things to try. When this dish can out, I was actually quite surprised because it didn't look like what I had seen before. This shrimp and grits dish was more what I would equate to gumbo because of the sauce that was served with it. When I think of gumbo, I think of a dark "gravy" with meat that's served over rice...which was what this was. It was shrimp, ham, sausage, tomatoes, green onions and garlic served over grits. It was a bit spicy and the grits had a hint of cheese mixed in with them. You can definitely taste the difference between boxed grits and the real kind...the later are ten times better! The combination of meat made this a very hearty dish and would be yummy on a cool fall evening.
I don't eat seafood a lot because I am somewhat picky about it, but knowing that this was a great place for seafood I decided to go for it. Next up was the grilled salmon with a lemon dill butter and asparagus. I can say that this is some of the best salmon I have had. It was tender and flavorful. The grill added some smokiness to it. Salmon and lemon are a well-known combination, but the butter added some creaminess to the dish. The asparagus were crunchy, but fork tender and soaked up the lemon dill butter sauce. It was a dish that didn't leave you feeling super stuffed afterwards.
Obviously when you are down South, you should eat crepes, right?... Okay maybe that's not a given, but it was worth a try. This was a mushroom spinach crepe, with tons of spinach and mushrooms. The spinach wasn't super soggy and I was surprised to find that the crepe wasn't soggy either. The restaurant itself is open but has an intimate atmosphere. It is a fun place to dress up and go a fancier dinner. SNOB is a place that you definitely need to try when you are in Charleston, but be sure to make a reservation as it is one of the city's hot dinner spots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment