Thursday, December 13, 2012

Spicing it Up

I get especially inspired around the holidays to be in the kitchen. However, I have begun to run into several problems. Somehow I am always short on baking sheets or bowls, there never seem to be enough storage containers, and I end up with way too many leftovers. That doesn't stop me!...Especially since I committed to try and make something new everything. So what do you? Enter the gift basket. I know that can be a bit cliche, but they can be really great. I personally like when there is a bit of everything. This is a great way to be able to try all the recipes you want, but not have oodles of leftovers. Things like cookies, brownies, hot cocoa, cheese, crackers, nuts (like almonds), and if they are of age a bottle of wine or their favorite liquor are perfect Last year, I tried these spicy, baked crackers and they were so addicting! The crushed red pepper gives them a kick but the neutral cracker balances it out. So while on Pinterest (go figure), I found a recipe for these crackers and was so excited. 
This is another quick snack recipe that can be done in minutes and is the perfect basket filler. You need saltines, canola oil, a ranch dressing packet, and crushed red pepper. The proportions of the recipe are kind of based on how big the bowl is. I used two sleeves of crackers, half the ranch packet, 1 1/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper, and 1 1/8 cups of canola oil. It was a bit to much in the bowl, so I would probably do one thing of crackers at a time. All you do is combine everything in the bowl, let sit for 5-10 minutes, and bake at 250 for 15 minutes. You do have to stir everything part way through to make sure nothing is getting burnt. If it ends up like mine where the baking sheet is way to full the mixing is even more important to make sure nothing stays hidden. It is one of the easiest things to make, but is so yummy! Mine were a bit spicy, but you can control the heat with how much red pepper you add. Once you make them, they will be gone before you know it, so make more than you anticipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment