Friday, December 21, 2012

Adult Cupcakes

Why I didn't think of the idea to put alcohol in cupcakes before is odd, but now that I know I will definitely be making cupcakes this way more often. For not being a bourbon drinker, it was odd that I wanted to make this recipe...or that I was so excited about it. Anyways, there is a cupcake place in town that did a Makers Mark cupcake that was so yummy. I decided that it was something I needed to try, but couldn't find a recipe. Good thing I found a recipe at the source - Markers Mark's website. This is somewhat like a spice cake, but has the subtle bourbon taste to it. It is almost like a carrot cake without the carrots and raisins. I do have to warn you that you need a flour sifter for this recipe though. This helps create an even consistency of the dry ingredients. Once you mix those together, you cream the butter and sugar, add in the eggs one at a time, and then the molasses. Next, alternate between adding the flour mixture and the milk into the batter. Here's where it gets little different from most recipes. Once you add in the Makers Mark, the batter will get runny and seem like it's separating. This is totally normal, so fill the cupcake liners as usual. These don't rise very much so you can fill them almost all the way to the top.

This recipe makes one dozen and only a dozen. For me, I usually end up with more than the recipe called for, but I got exactly 12. The recipe says 30-35 minutes at 350, but I put mine in for 25 minutes and the tops got a little darker than I would have liked. I would say keep an eye on them towards the end of the baking time. While they are cooling, it's time to put together the cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Beat the cream cheese and add in the butter. Mix until well combined and then add in the powdered sugar, salt, and cinnamon. It says to refrigerate and them warm up before using. I didn't refrigerate mine and it was a little on the thin side. I think next time I will add in some more powdered sugar and refrigerate it to see if that helps. Despite a less than perfect icing, these were some of the most yummy cupcakes I have ever had. The cake was full of warmth from the spices and the cream cheese icing wasn't overly sweet. I can't say that I am a huge bourbon fan, but after these I will never turn it down when it is in a cupcake. Now, if I could just learn to drink it...So take it from me, even if you aren't a Makers Mark person, you need to give these cupcakes a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment