Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Table for Tapas, Please!

Photo Courtesy of Amsterdam
So getting to go on vacation and see a friend was a real treat, especially when it happens in the beautiful city of New York! I haven't had the opportunity to visit the Upper West Side during my previous travels to New York, so this was great. We went to this place called Amsterdam Restaurant and Tapas. I love tapas because you get to try a ton of different things and you don't feel overly full afterwards. We opted to try fried calamari, spicy Thai garlic shrimp, duck tacos, and sweet potato and apple pierogies. We got so caught up in the delicious food and chatting that I didn't get to take many pictures, so forgive me.

The calamari had a great seasoned coating and the remoulade sauce was amazing. The spicy Thai garlic shrimp were super spicy, but they were light and full of flavor. I have never had duck before, but we were feeling adventurous so we gave it a shot. It wasn't too bad, but it really wasn't my favorite and I probably won't be trying it again. The duck was similar to chicken and the sweetness of the pear added an interesting twist to it. However, it was the sweet potato and apple pierogies that were the favorite of the night. For those of you that don't know what a pierogi is, it's a dough that is first boiled and then fried and stuffed. I would have never put together sweet potato and apple together but it was heavenly! It was fluffy, sweet, and full of autumn spice. These are definitely something that I would eat more often if I was closer... but it's probably good that I'm not.

Since we were in the area, we of course had to take a detour through the Columbia campus. Even at night it was beautiful, though much smaller than some of the other campuses I have been to (which isn't all that surprising). This was the main library of the campus when it first opened, though it has since been changed to an office building. I didn't get to see it during the day, but I am glad that I got a chance to visit while I was up there. It's definitely something to stop by and see if you are in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment