Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Donut and A Stroll Through the Park

There are few perfect days that I get to experience. Everyone jokes that the seasons around here are spring and summer. There may only be a handful of fall and winter weather days, so I appreciate them even more when I get to experience them. On this beautiful morning in New York, we found ourselves down by Chelsea and the Flat Iron District. The goal was to find the Doughnut Plant. Now, I know that one: doughnuts are not healthy for you and two: that you think they are always them same...wrong! Let me just say the Doughnut Plant does not make average doughnuts. When you visit, you can choose between yeast, cake, or doughnut seeds (aka giant doughnut holes). Not only are the flavors out of this world, but they are much bigger than your average donut. I warn you though, once you eat these you will never want to go back to the regular ones.  Since I don't eat doughnuts too often, I was okay with the splurge. Though I usually prefer cake doughnuts, I decided to try a cake and a yeast doughnut as we took in the peaceful scenery of Madison Square Park.


Yes, the square thing is indeed a doughnut... a peanut butter and jelly doughnut that is. What more could you ask for then two childhood favorites rolled into one. And boy, did it taste exactly like it's sandwich counterpart! It was crunchy on the outside and the inside was a good ratio of jelly and doughnut. The cake doughnut I had was tres leche. It was almost beyond words and I am drooling just thinking about it. The inside was soaked in the milk and then it was glazed on the outside. It wasn't too soggy or sweet and the flavors exploded in my mouth. We opted to try the seasonal flavors which were raspberry and orange blossom cashew. The raspberry one was very natural tasting, but wasn't overwhelming sweet and its color was beautiful. I wasn't sure what to expect with the orange blossom cashew, but I was pleasantly surprised. The crunch of the cashew in the outside and the twist of citrus proved to be a very complementary pair. It was a light and refreshing flavor and not something I have ever had before. All I can say is that Doughnut Plant is somewhere that you should definitely check out if you are on the area because it will completely change your view on doughnuts. It's probably really good that there isn't one here because I think I would definitely be eating doughnuts way more often than I should!


No comments:

Post a Comment